Thursday, April 1, 2010

An Introduction

Please allow me to introduce myself. I’m a transplant, but I’ve spent more years as a Texan than as a Wisconsinite. I catch myself every now and then sounding very Northern yet my family “Up There” thinks I sound Texan. I’ve adopted several of Texas' traits as my own. I quickly adapted to the mild winters and have learned to accept the brutal summers. Although I still eschew hot sauce and jalapenos, Tex Mex is my favorite food. I’d have to admit, I can dance a better polka than I can a Texas two-step, but I can down a plate of barbeque with a big glass of iced tea with the best of y’all. And thankfully, I can buy my Wisconsin cheese at the local Brookshires.

I’ve lived and worked in Dallas for enough years to experience some of the best Big D has to offer: art shows, theatre, concerts, clubs, professional sports, shopping, dining and more dining. I am hoping to consider myself retired from Corporate America, but you never know what the future holds. For now, I am living and loving each day as it comes.

I’ve been fortunate to find my slice of heaven, and it lies somewhere between DFW and East Texas. Living on the fringe of the Metroplex allows for the best of both worlds. A drive into the city for lunch with an old friend is extremely manageable (as long as you’re not hitting rush hour). And if you prefer to spend your days in rural solitude, that works just fine too. My early years were spent disappearing into the fields and woods near my childhood home and wiling away hours alongside Wisconsin creeks so I prefer Podunk to populated any day. These days a trip to the feed store is adventurous enough for me.

Here in North Easterly Texas, I revel in each day’s gifts as they come – pets, wild birds, varmints, good weather, bad weather – and remember to thank God each day for the electricity and water service which keeps us cool and hydrated through the hot summer.

Each day here is a gift. Remember to soak it in.

6 comments:

Jenny Schouten Short said...

You are so close to my home in Ft. Worth. It warms my heart to find your blog. I am a Texan married to a Dutchman and am spending my first Christmas in a very cold Netherlands. You don't appreciate the warmth of Texas until you live at the North Pole! Merry Christmas.

littlethingsoflife said...

So glad to have found your blog! Am enjoying your photos and other posts...and look forward to more. I'm from the "deep south," now transplanted to Southeast TX. We've had a HOT Texas summer so far, haven't we??

Have a good day. :)

Toni said...

I found your blog on Texas Blogging Gals. I, too, grew up in Central WI and have now lived in the DFW area for 24 years. I am one of 8 kids, too. And I grew up Catholic, (but now go to a Bible church.) I'm a big gardener, so I am coveting your large property -- how wonderful!!! I had to laugh at your comment about polka music every Sunday and dessert at every meal. I just got back from a trip to WI last week, and there was dessert at every meal and polka music on Sunday :-) (Oh, and a trip to the cheese factory, too -- a must!!) Sure was a nice break from the heat -- highs were in the 70s, lows in the 50s. Sweet relief. Just wanted to say hi from a fellow former Wisconsinite turned Texan :-)

Sally said...

It looks so peaceful and beautiful where you live. I'm enjoying reading more about your life. :)

Susan said...

It's taken me a long time to really read your introduction. I'm so glad I did. I just want to tell you that I think you are a awesome person, and I admire your strength and abilities!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Hi, Theresa. After reading your post today, I just had to come here to see your first post and read about how you got started blogging. I started my blog about five months after you started yours. By then, you were an "old" pro in my eyes. As you know, I did take a year off in 2014 and part of 2015; but I found that I missed it. I hope you'll return to it one day, too. I'm having trouble imagining the blogging world without you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...