Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bloomage for plumage


Several years ago, friends gifted me with some trumpet vines which I had been wanting for my hummingbird friends. I planted them around the power pole and waited. The first few years they had to suffer through assaults by 2 Catahoulas - digging after toads, clawing at the pole in attempts to reach squirrels - just general non-root-or-tendril-friendly behavior. Thankfully, after each season's beat-backs, the vines would manage to green up again the next year but they never seemed to get a good foothold. Last year they finally grew taller than my head and produced their first few blooms. This year, they're stronger and taller and earlier to produce trumpets than last year. So we're on a roll now, baby! It's nice that the Catahoulas are maturing a bit too...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...