Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Speaking of wood ducks...


We have babies on the pond! It has been years since we've had ducklings here - partially thanks to the Catahoulas in their more "immature" stage of manic mayhem; partially due to a couple of snapping turtles we had lurking in the deep; partially due to hawks picking off the youngsters.

We'll have to wait and see how these babies manage. I'll do my best to keep the dogs from noticing them when they're on the near side of the pond. And I think we've gotten rid of the snapping turtles (due to Husband's firearm and my catch-and-release-somewhere-else relocation program for snappers found on land). The hawks and other predators still abound, however, so I'm sure we'll lose a few. But I count 9 in this brood so hopefully the odds will still prevail.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...