Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Baby Blue Jay


Well, at least the baby blue jay was doing well. Day 3 on the limb, he bobbled down and I found him on the ground so had to catch him and restore him to his perch on the oak tree. He was bigger and stronger and his pin feathers had started to bloom. He was starting to look and sound like a blue jay.

Well, morning of Day 4, he again left his perch and landed on the ground near the pond. And while the Catahoulas were too busy watching the bandits ensconced in the bird feeder tree, a copperhead got the baby blue jay.

I heard the adult blue jays screaming and saw cardinals, chickadees and a pair of wrens all gather in to the pine tree to pitch a fit. So I went out to see what was wrong and saw the copperhead starting to devour the already dead blue jay baby.

So bye bye birdie. We did our best. Sorry to see you go.

3 comments:

Winchester said...

That's not a pleasant ending. I demand a rewrite.

Nature has a cruel sense of humor sometimes.

texwisgirl said...

I know. I was sad that he didn't make it. Coulda used one more screaming, raucous blue jay around here...

Lesa said...

Sniff, sniff. That makes me sad. Nature....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...