Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bandits part 3


So, after securing all dogs in the house, I kept them confined for 2 1/2 hours to give the raccoons a chance to make their escape. I knew they wouldn't like moving during the day, but after an agonizingly long, hot day trapped in a tree w/ no water, I figured they'd be desperate. When we came back outside, I looked up and noticed one clump was gone. "Whew!" I thought. "At least 2 of them got away." Wrong. The 2 young ones had just re-clumped into their mom and sibling creating one bigger, hotter clump in the tree. And now the dogs were out again...

After a few more hours, I got the dogs back inside. At which point, Husband thought maybe a hose would coax the critters out of the tree. I hooked up the sprayer but the raccoons were too high in the tree for the water to reach. So I got a step ladder and tried again. Still not enough reach. So I got Husband's truck and parked it under the tree, put the step ladder in the bed and tried again. This time, was able to reach them somewhat, spraying between swaying tree branches and leaves. Able to get one of the coons to give up, climb down and run away. The others, however, still clung to the limbs and even moved higher up into the tree. "Well, at least they've had some water," I thought.

Kept dogs inside for several hours again. Night had fallen and figured cover of darkness would surely allow raccoons the security they needed to leave. Shined flashlight up into tree and didn't see any eyes glowing back at me. "Finally! They've gone!"

Wrong. Thelma and Louise kept vigil at the tree all night long. The next morning, I could still see the same high-up clump of fur and tails in the tree. Now what?...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...