Sunday, July 11, 2010

Copperhead = swollen head




Poor Louise. She's my #1 snake dog. Which means she also gets bit the most.

As I was about to leave for a doctor appt. one morning, she discovered a snake under one of the dog houses. I pinned the other dogs inside while I went out to help her investigate. When I tipped the doggie igloo, she went in after the snake and came out with a nice bite on her face. I was able to use my handy-dandy "snake remover tool" (a small wooden oar that a coworker had given me) and scooped the small snake onto the blade, walked it over and pitched it into the pond so the dogs wouldn't have to kill it.

Before I left, I crammed a Benadryl, antibiotic and painkiller down Louise's throat to help her with the venom reaction. She definitely didn't swell up too badly - just enough to look pitiful - but at least she's acting and eating okay.

I looked up the pretty little snake in our Texas snakes guide. It was a Southern Copperhead. As my doctor said after I relayed the story of why I was a bit late for my appt., "Snakes are pretty, but they don't have much of a soul." :)

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Poor Louise! I hope she is better by now.

texwisgirl said...

She actually bounced back really quickly so I'm thinking the drugs I gave her helped fend off a worse reaction. :) She's a good snaker...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...