Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My lame-o tools for critter scaring


Bandit morning #2, I set out to get the raccoons out of the tree rather than let them suffer through another hot, dry day being trapped in the branches. So, after getting all the dogs inside (again), I brought out my arsenal. Tried a pellet pistol - went "pfft" and dropped the yellow BBs at my feet. Tried a pail of rocks - both hand-pelting and using a sling-shot. Managed to fling a few rocks through the leaves near them, but obviously I need to work on my "David" skills before Goliath ever comes calling. Then, I pulled the truck around again, set up the step ladder in the bed and used an extend-a-reach tree saw handle to try to reach the raccoons. After several attempts at shaking the branches, getting the handle stuck in the tree and having it come apart on me, I finally rattled their world enough to scare the mom out of the tree and she ran off. Then I went back to the water hose and sprayer. Got the babies to move around - especially now that they didn't have their momma to cling to - but they continued to move higher in the branches instead of coming down. So I packed up my "tools" knowing I had done what I could - short of shooting them out of the tree w/ real guns.

5 comments:

texwisgirl said...

P.S. After this whole incident, I went to Walmart and bought me a good old-fashioned Daisy BB rifle for times like these - when critters need a little motivation to move along - hopefully w/o any serious injuries...

Winchester said...

Make sure you practice your aim by shooting at cans on the fence line.

texwisgirl said...

Yeah, so far I've practiced on the metal hanging bells in the tree - one way to make them ring...

bon bon said...

i think you should set up a camera for live video feed of your grounds. "oh, here she comes toting her bb gun. wonder what those dogs have cornered today!"

:oD

texwisgirl said...

Oooh! The idea of me caught on camera for live feed - that wildlife is just TOO scary for YouTube... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...