Friday, September 24, 2010

I'll spare you any photos...

The dogs did their usual run*a*round this morning when I went out to the barn, heading out into the pastures, creeks and woods.  Later I saw Baron standing over something fuzzy in the yard.  After I coaxed him inside, I went to see what it was.  A small possum.  Poor dear had suffered some bite marks and, by the snarl on his face, looked like he had not died a peaceful death.  I went back inside, got a towel, then retrieved the critter by the tail to toss him into the pond.  I carried him a ways to reach an open spot along the shoreline and when I started swinging him to lob his carcass into the water, he began to wiggle.  I just KNEW he was playing possum with me!  I tossed him into the water's edge and watched the poor wet rat for a moment as he looked around dazedly.  I left him alone at that point so he could get his bearings and make his escape as the 2 Catahoulas were still on the loose and I didn't want them to show interest in what I was doing.  I hope he survives. 

P.S. to Husband.  Yes, I know it's risky to pick up critters.  Yes, I was careful!  I knew enough to wrap a towel around my hand before picking him up!  No, I will not get rabies.  Yes, I will do it again!  Yes, next time I will also wear leather gloves!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...