Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Preying praying mantis




Did you know that the praying mantis is a predator to the hummingbird? Silly me. Until I read this recently on the web, I thought they would perch on the hummingbird feeders to catch the occasional butterfly, bee, or ant or even sip some sugar water. When I'd clean and refill the feeders, I'd gently encourage the mantis to step off the feeder so it could step back on after I re-hung it. Well now that I know that they will catch a hummer using their razor-like front legs, kill it and eat from its carcass, I take a stick and firmly relocate it from the feeder saying "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave!"

Another interesting fact, the praying mantis is the only insect who can rotate its head (and it looks at you with his creepy little triangle-shaped noggin as you dare to boot him from his hunting station.)

4 comments:

bon bon said...

i had no idea they were such inhospitable jerks.

texwisgirl said...

Yeah, apparently they become "Vlad the Impaler" and stab the poor little beauties through their chests to kill them! EEEK!

Winchester said...

That is outrageous. I wonder if Animal Planet has a special about it.

texwisgirl said...

They should! I found a photo slide-show on the web when I Googled "praying mantis preys on hummingbird" which showed a poor dead hummer dangling off the arm of a mantis as it ate from it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...