Saturday, October 2, 2010

Pea pods!

My trumpet vines have given me 3 seed pods this year - first time ever!  Now, I just wish I knew what to do with them.  Do I harvest them after they all turn brown but before they burst open (assuming they'll burst open)?  Do I push them into dirt in whole pods?  Do I open them up and sprinkle whatever seeds are inside on soil?  I want to start some pots of vines to trail around the metal gazebo we have.  Just don't have the faintest idea how to do it right.

4 comments:

Liesl said...

Living in South Africa I really have no idea...Maybe try googling it?

texwisgirl said...

Yup, I figured that would be my next step if I didn't get first-hand advice from someone familiar with them. Thanks!

Farmchick said...

Seriously, I would think that you would open the pods and not plant the whole thing. But, I would google that!

texwisgirl said...

I just looked around a few sites and they suggest either opening the dried pod and scattering the seeds this fall where I want them up next spring, OR stick the pods in a ziploc bag, then in a plastic container, then into the refrigerator for 2-3 mos. and THEN plant them for the spring. I'll probably do the easy thing and just scatter them this fall. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...