Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Top O' Tornado clouds

Sunday night, an area south of Dallas got hit by a Category 2 tornado.  I heard the weather warnings on the news and saw the storm path was predicted to come to our area.  So of course I grabbed my camera and headed out to see what I could see. 
Well, I never expected the gorgeous clouds, colors, and even fury that those skies showed.  Luckily, it just edged our area and never brought us the storm.  I felt guilty enjoying such magnificence when I knew the folks directly under/in those storms would be suffering.  Happily, no one was hurt or killed, but unfortunately there was plenty of damage to homes and schools. 
 
The video someone shot of the tornado ("We're inside the tornado!") made the national news.  I'm glad I'm not posting any of those reports and instead just sharing the absolute gorgeous colors and clouds we saw from our side of things.
As the sun was setting, some of the clouds reflected the intense orange and looked rather hellfire-ish.
And then it settled back into a more friendly pink tone and finally back to greys.  Greys filled with lots and lots of lightning!

14 comments:

Dawn said...

These are magnificent!
Guess I have a lot to be thankful for living up here....tornadoes (and scary bugs) VS. snow:))
(Thinking I would stick with snow.)

But you sure captured it beautifully!

Liesl said...

Wow,wow,wow! Absolutely stunning description. Those shots are awesome. I am glad it missed you and your loved ones and property!
xoxo

Farm Girl said...

beautiful clouds and I always imagine the glory of God when I see them. I live in California but every single time I go to Oklahoma we get caught in tornadoes. We were even in Witchta Falls Texas, during a big one. I thought I would die when the sirens went off. I saw the video too. My husbands family lives in Dumont and I always think they are much braver than me. My sister lives in my Mom's house now and she says, tornado warnings still scare her to death. I always think that being aware of the weather makes it easier to know God because you can see His greatness in the storms.
I love the pictures!

Nancy @ el vigilante said...

Beautiful photos. We get skies like that usually in June or July. Really humbles a person to see something so big and powerful. Nice work!

Deb said...

I love sky photos..these are amazing...we have friends in that area..thank goodness no damage for them...thanks for becoming a follower of my blog...

Nature ID (Katie) said...

Your pictures are absolutely amazing! Wow! Glad you're safe. Tornadoes are scary.

Amy said...

So incredibly beautiful! Good to meet you! Love your blog. Amy

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Oh my, these clouds are awesome. I often tell my little ones to look up to the sky and pay attention to another gorgeous sky. Beautiful post!
Enjoy your Tuesday xxxx

Kent Island Red said...

What immediately came to mind was this verse of Scripture:

"Consider the wondrous works of God."
Job 37:14

Verde Farm said...

What beautiful skies. Turmultuous but so interesting. Great shots!
Amy

Angela said...

Great pictures! The second one looks like a squirrel jumping through the clouds! hehehe I'm so glad the tornado didn't hit where you live!

Joe said...

Great shots. I like watching the clouds as a storm develops. Can do without the tornados though.

IanH said...

Me, I would have grabbed a shovel and dug a very deep hole, then pulled it in after me! We get lots of snow and cold, but I'll leave that sort of excitement to you Texans!

bon bon said...

wow, gorgeous colors! we had some touchdowns up here too, but i'm more likely to consider a photo op than the danger. you know me. ;o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...