Monday, October 11, 2010

Water varmint

One morning I looked out at the pond and noticed a hump of brown grass.  Then I noticed it moved.  Upon closer examination (and some sadly taken photos) I identified it as a nutria - kind of like a beaver with a rat tail. 

Sorry the pix are not better, but it was really hard to get closer to him.  If I made too much movement, he'd slip into the water and I'd have to wait for him to resurface to try again. 



He only stuck around a couple of days.  I think the dogs were too much for his nerves.  He probably continued his travels along the creek.

Spotting him was a treat, though, as I'd never seen a nutria before, just read about them as being notorious destroyers of water vegetation.

4 comments:

Joe said...

Nice pics. You're probably right about the dogs scaring him off.

Liesl said...

Wow that is just so cool,good for you for getting those shots of him!

bon bon said...

i'd never even heard of such a creature! sure looks like a beaver from the front though.

i think hubby may have to buy you a high end camera with a close-up lens for christmas. ;o)

texwisgirl said...

When I first learned your d-i-l's name was Tria, I thought of this critter... :)

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to have to get serious about a real camera and some lenses one of these days...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...