Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fix a Puzzle / Get your Puzzle Fix

Winter was the season for fixing picture puzzles at my family home in Wisconsin.  The snow and cold kept us indoors more, and the card table would be set up in the living room for months at a time to hold and assemble many puzzles.  We always had a few favorites - either due to colors, degree of difficulty, puzzle cut and fit - that we'd fix every winter.  And we'd throw in a few new ones when we could.  Undoubtedly, sometimes a piece would get knocked off the table and somehow get lost.  Then we'd circle the area on the box photo so we'd know the next time we assembled it not to waste countless hours searching for a piece that no longer existed.  I wish picture puzzles were still a part of today's family life, but too often video and computer games offer more thrills.  But I loved those hours we spent quietly perched over the card table, sharing time and space with my dad, sister, and sometimes my mom too.

I found this site a while back from Angela over at West Virginia Treasures.  Jigzone.com has plenty of puzzles for you to choose from.  They also let you upload your own pictures to create your own online puzzles.  Thought I'd post one of my old turtle pix as a puzzle for you today.  It only takes a few minutes to assemble these online, but it still gives me my puzzle fix when I need one.  And there's no knocking pieces off the table for the dogs to chew up...

Click to Mix and Solve

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Well, that was fun! I will have to try it again after I get my eyes fixed! Over 13 minutes! But I will admit, I am also watching natgeo, LOL!

Happy Sunday!

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

Reminds me of when the power goes out here. We get the kerosene lamps out and play cards or board games. One of the best Christmas's was the year the power went off. It was just us and the kids and dogs and the whole world was quiet. It was a wonderful bonding time for us and the kids.
I think you should buy a new puzzle...of one of your neat pics and get that card table set up!.........Why Not??

bon bon said...

when all the pieces are the same shape like that, count me out. my a.d.d. kicks in about 5 minutes in. ;o)

Farm Girl said...

That is cool. We did puzzles until the grand-babies got mobile and they like to eat puzzle pieces. :)So we haven't done one at the holidays in awhile. I wonder if they are old enough to not grab one and not eat it.
That is a neat idea and I know I could spend way to many hours trying to put one together. Thanks for showing us today.

wayside wanderer said...

Very neat!

Louise said...

How absolutely cool! I love jigsaw puzzles, and I've not been able to do them for years. Four cats and a puzzle on a card table just do not mix. I have bookmarked that spot, and will be going often. THANK YOU!

Zondra Art said...

Very interesting, I lake it!!!

Kisses.

Winchester said...

That was oddly amusing. Took me 9 and a half minutes. Now back to picking classes for next semester.

Farmchick said...

I have had this situation in my classrooms before. A nice quiet corner spot with a "classroom" project puzzle. A nice, thoughful activity.

Verde Farm said...

I love doing puzzles. It was a great winter activity for us and we bought one to do last year but have yet to open it. I am going to make sure we do this year. Do you know if you can actually get these puzzles made? I bet there are sites out there that will take a photo and make a jigsaw puzzle for you. I am going to see if I can find one :)
Amy

Deb said...

so cool....love doing jigsaw puzzles...

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Thanks for the puzzle site link. I'll pass it on to my puzzle crazy daughter-in-law. She love puzzles :-)

Allison said...

I love puzzles, too! About a month ago I bought a brand new one in the US; it's a wintry scene of someone's front door. Really lovely. My sister-in-law and I do a puzzle together every winter, and inevitably the kids come over, curious, and try to add a piece or two. They do bring people together, that's for sure!

Nancy said...

My husband and I went through a puzzle craze a few years ago. It is a peaceful way to while- away those cold, Midwest winters. Definitely a great group activity that gets everyone working together. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...