Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sharing space (and water)


The last couple of weeks, I've been pleased to see a couple of Northern Flickers in our area.  I remember them well from Wisconsin but rarely see them here in Texas.  One stopped at the bird bath and shared space with an Eastern Bluebird recently. 
I was hoping to get a better shot of the Flicker, like maybe a flash of those yellow underwings, but he was very wary of any movement at the window.  (The bluebird was more wary of the flicker than of me!)


One fleeting glance to the side and he was gone. 

7 comments:

Judy said...

They move so quick, that if you don't take that shot your opportunity is gone. Nice pics!

Farm Girl said...

We have a couple that return every year and I am so happy to see them. I do wish we had bluebirds. When my Dad was alive he had 6 emus and we were there at his house watching them and a blue bird flew over head and one of the emus jumped in the air and ate it. Blue feathers just came fluttering down. My kids and I just stood there shocked. I never really liked them after that.

texwisgirl said...

UGH! I had no idea emus would eat other birds! Even though songbirds are tiny compared to them, it's still rather gross! :)

wayside wanderer said...

Oh, sweet pictures. We do not see many bluebirds (too citified where we live?) but we did have one visit our yard this spring and I was beside myself happy. :-)

bon bon said...

that bluebird is just so darn pretty! my dad puts up houses for them so i have to visit the folks in order to see them.

i'll tell him to avoid putting up an emu house.
;o)

Winchester said...

We have a Flicker at the sanctuary. His tail feathers got pulled out by a dog so he is waiting for them to grow back.

Nancy said...

So pretty, the both of them! The flicker reminds me a bit of a cedar waxwing. They are so gorgeous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...